What is the Cost of a Metal Roof Installed in Tampa?
Recent Popularity of Metal Roofing
Metal roofing has become more and more popular for homeowners in recent years. The durability, fire-resistant properties and virtually maintenance free nature of metal roofs appeal to many. Environmental minded home owners also have been turning to metal roofing as an option due to the vast majority of metal roofing materials being constructed from recyclable products.
Metal vs. Asphalt Roofing
It’s no secret that metal roofing will be more expensive than asphalt roofing, but that’s not necessarily a negative. While a home owner will undoubtedly pay more upfront for the installation and materials a metal roof requires, over time the savings can add up to be significant. These savings are referred to as low life-cycle cost factors.
Specific metal roof cost factors:
• Energy Bill Savings – Home owners often experience significant savings on their monthly energy bills. This is due to the fact that metal absorbs approximately 35% less heat than asphalt shingles, which can result in up to 40% in home energy savings costs.
• Lower Winter Maintenance – Those living in colder climates site the positives of metal roofing in the winter due to their automatic shedding of ice and snow. In areas heavily hit by snow, paying for a handyman to remove snow and ice from a roof isn’t uncommon.
• Longer Warranties – High-tech color coatings are warrantied anywhere from 40 to 60 years, typically lasting closer to 50. In comparison, asphalt shingles usually only last from 10 to 20 years with the average being 15 years.
• Insurance Discounts – The majority of home insurance companies offer discounts for having weather-resistant metal roofing on their home.
• Tax Incentives – Congress approved the extension of Energy Efficiency Tax Incentives, which will provide substantial tax credits to any homeowner that performs energy efficient upgrades to their home. The tax incentive calls for a $50 per home credit, in addition to a credit of 10% of the total roofing installation cost.
National Average Costs
All of these low life-cycle cost factors are important to keep in mind when investigating the costs of a metal roof for your home. The materials and installation costs of a metal roof vary depending on where you reside in the United States. The national average cost is approximately $16,000 but this really varies depending on how many roof needs to be installed. Since metal roofing is considered a premium home product, it’s cost is about three times the cost of an asphalt shingle roof.
Installing your own Metal Roof
Home owners that have home construction experience or are comfortable attempting to install their own metal roof will be able to save money with regards to installation costs in comparison to having the installation performed by a contractor. If purchasing the metal roofing materials independently, be prepared to spend approximately $8,000 for materials in total, which means you would save about $6,000 in professional installation charges.
Want a Free Quote on Metal Roof Installation?
Give us a call today (813) 659-5426.